This Cornmeal Pizza Crust recipe is quick and easy to make. Load up your Mexican Pizza with your favorite Mexican inspired toppings for an easy weeknight meal!
How about a pizza party… Cinco de Mayo style?
Grab your Margarita. Let’s fiesta!
How To Make A Cornmeal Pizza Crust
We love making Mexican pizza. And, while you can add Mexican style toppings to any pizza crust, we like to kick things up a notch by making our Mexican pizzas on a cornmeal pizza crust.
The cornmeal in the pizza crust gives the whole pizza a bit more of the feel of eating a taco or enchilada on a fresh corn tortilla.
The recipe we have for you below is a a basic recipe for a cornmeal pizza crust that lets you go crazy with topping your Mexican pizza however you like!
Toppings For A Mexican Pizza
The sky is the limit when it comes to Mexican pizza, will you use shredded chicken? Taco meat? Fajita beef?
Here are some of our go-to toppings for a Mexican pizza:
The Pizza “Sauce”
- Ground taco meat
- Grilled chicken
- Fajita steak
- Pork carnitas
- Mexican seasoned cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or Mexican cotija cheese
- Tomatoes, onions, green peppers
- Black or pinto beans
- Black olives
Any of your favorite taco/burrito/nacho toppings can be piled on top of this crust, making it the perfect way to twist taco night leftovers into something new.
Get ready to get creative!
Cornmeal Pizza Crust for Mexican Pizza
- In a medium bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, and yeast. Add the water and 1 Tbsp butter. Mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula until no clumps remain. Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Mix the yeast mixture and mix in 1 cup of flour.
- Add the paprika and salt. Mix well.
- Add remaining ¾ - 1 cup of flower, mixing as you add, until a soft dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a flat surface dusted lightly with flour and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth.
- Shape dough into a ball, place it into a clean, greased bowl. Cover the dough with your damp tea towel and let the dough rest for 10 min.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12 inch diameter circle. Place the crust onto a greased baking sheet. Brush the crust lightly with butter and prick it all over with a fork.
- Let the crust rest for 5 minutes while you preheat your oven to 450F.
- Bake the crust for 5-7 minutes, until lightly golden and slightly springy to the touch.
Top Your Pizza
- Once your pizza is topped, bake at 450F for 10-15 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
Mexican Spiced Pizza Sauce
- ¼ c tomato paste
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- Let the sauce stand for at least 5 minutes before using to top a pizza.
- Brush pizza crust lightly with oil before topping with sauce to keep the crust from getting soggy during baking.
This is one of the recipes from the early days of Curious Cuisiniere. We’ve updated our pictures since we first made it, but we’ve left the original images here as a fun throwback and shout out to how far we’ve come. Enjoy!