Whether it’s an excuse to treat yourself, your spouse, our your friends, this week’s #SundaySupper is full of sweet treats, romantic dinners, and pink drinks to help you celebrate this week’s loving holiday.
Our first Valentine’s together we went to a hibachi grill we had been dying to try. The next year, we treated ourselves to a multi-course sushi dinner.
Apparently, we like to go out to Asian restaurants.
This year we’re going Italian.
Italian food is a staple in our house, but filled pasta dishes are a rare treat. For this one, we even opened a bottle of Italian wine we have been carrying with us for the past four years. It was a gift from a friend that we kept saying we would wait to open for a special meal.
This meal fit the bill quite well.
First, instead of using pre-made cannelloni shells as the pasta here, we used lasagna noodles and simply rolled the pasta pieces around the filling. It was quick, easier than stuffing a tube (in my opinion), and we always have lasagna in the pantry.
Second, we chose to make our own ‘ricotta’ style cheese using blended cottage cheese and bread crumbs. Yes, it’s an extra step, but even if we had used part-skim ricotta, this version cuts the calories in half and brings the fat down even more substantially. The taste and texture are similar to a ricotta filling, but not spot on. If those eating the dish didn’t know something was different, they may not even be able to pick it out. And, we thought the slight difference was well worth the calories saved.
- 1 c low fat cottage cheese
- ¾ c bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (4oz) can sliced mushrooms, un-drained
- ¼ c dry red wine
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp savory
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 Lasagna noodles
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor, puree cottage cheese until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and puree until combined.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and boil, uncovered until no longer rigid.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove sauce from heat.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish.
- When pasta is cooked, remove from pan and slice each noodle into thirds. Place 1 Tbsp of filling in the center of each noodle section. Gently fold the two sides over the filling. Place, seam side down, in the baking pan. Until all the noodles have been used and the pan is full with one layer of filled pasta rolls.
- Cover the pasta with the remaining sauce.
- Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the edges are bubbly.
- Serve hot topped with extra Parmesan cheese if desired.
Can you feel the #SundaySupper love with all of these fantastic dishes and sweets?
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Tablescape: A Romantic Table For Two Please from An Appealing Plan
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!