This Zucchini Lasagna is a whole new take on healthy, low carb lasagna. Using zucchini “noodles” and lightened up Italian “sausage” it brings all the lasagna flavor you’re craving!
Happy National Acorn Squash Day!
(If you didn’t believe that every food has its holiday, today would be a good place to start.)
Honestly, with as much as we love acorn squash, it might be surprising that we don’t have an acorn squash dish for you today.
Ok. We were kind of sad too, but there is way too much zucchini coming out of our garden for us to go in search of other squash cousins right now.
If you really need that acorn squash fix, check out our Barley Pilaf Stuffed Acorn Squash, Apple Pecan Stuffed Acorn Squash, Pomegranate Pilaf Stuffed Squash, or Moroccan Couscous Stuffed Squash. (Maybe this fall we’ll do some things with acorn squash other than stuffing them. )
But, before we start thinking about winter squash, we have some summer squash love that needs to be shared.
Low carb lasagna with zucchini noodles!
Using zucchini instead of pasta seems to be all the rage right now. And, we though, why not lasagna?
I must say, we were surprised how well the zucchini held up in the dish. We still had “noodles” to cut through when serving the dish, and the layers stayed incredibly distinct. WOW!
Lightened up sausage flavors
This lasagna gives some classic flavors a lighter twist, first by using zucchini slices instead of noodles. The second “lightened up” twist we’ve thrown is to use spiced lean ground beef instead of actual Italian sausage. You’ll be surprised how close the beef tastes to actual Italian sausage when you use the same seasoning that give Italian sausage its distinctive flavor to season ground beef!
This Zucchini Lasagna is a whole new take on healthy, low carb lasagna.
Yield: 1 8x8 baking dish (Double the recipe to fill a 9x13 pan.)
- 1 medium zucchini (roughly 1¼ lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ lb ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- ¼ c water
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp whole fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp thyme
- Pinch coriander seeds
- 2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Slice zucchini into ¼” strips. Lay strips on a paper towel and sprinkle salt over both sides. Set aside to sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- While the zucchini sweats, brown the beef in a large skillet. Add onions and green peppers. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until peppers are soft.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until sauce is thick and fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Pat zucchini slices dry.
- In an 8x8 baking dish layer 1 cup sauce, 1/3 of the zucchini slices, and ½ c cheese. Repeat the layers twice more, but do not add the final layer (1/2 c) of cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is bubbly in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.