This Zucchini Lasagna is a whole new take on healthy, low carb lasagna. Using zucchini “noodles” and lightened up Italian “sausage” it brings all the lasagna flavor you’re craving!
Happy National Acorn Squash Day!
(If you didn’t believe that every food has its holiday, today would be a good place to start.)
The Sunday Supper crew is celebrating Acorn Squash and all squash today in a big Squash Fest!
We’re just in time to use up all that summer squash coming from your garden and ready with the inspiration as winter squash starts to populate the markets!
With as much as we love acorn squash, it might be surprising that we don’t have an acorn squash dish for you today.
Ok. We were kind of sad too, but there is way too much zucchini coming out of our garden for us to go in search of other squash cousins right now.
If you really need that acorn squash fix, check out our Barley Pilaf Stuffed Acorn Squash, Apple Pecan Stuffed Acorn Squash, Pomegranate Pilaf Stuffed Squash, or Moroccan Couscous Stuffed Squash. (Maybe this fall we’ll do some things with acorn squash other than stuffing them. )
But, before we start thinking about winter squash, we have some summer squash love that needs to be shared.
Low carb lasagna with zucchini noodles!
Using zucchini instead of pasta seems to be all the rage right now. And, we though, why not lasagna?
I must say, we were surprised how well the zucchini held up in the dish. We still had “noodles” to cut through when serving the dish, and the layers stayed incredibly distinct. WOW!
Lightened up sausage flavors
This lasagna gives some classic flavors a lighter twist, first by using zucchini slices instead of noodles. The second “lightened up” twist we’ve thrown is to use spiced lean ground beef instead of actual Italian sausage. You’ll be surprised how close the beef tastes to actual Italian sausage when you use the same seasoning that give Italian sausage its distinctive flavor to season ground beef!
- 1 medium zucchini (roughly 1¼ lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ lb ground beef, 90% lean
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced (roughly 2 lbs)
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- ¼ c water
- 2 Tbsp red wine
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp thyme, dry
- Pinch of coriander seeds
- 1 ¾ c part skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350⁰F.
- Slice zucchini into ¼” strips. Lay strips on a paper towel and sprinkle salt over both sides. Set aside to sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- While the zucchini sweats, brown the beef in a large skillet. Add onions and green peppers. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until peppers are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese). Simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until sauce is thick and fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Pat zucchini slices dry.
- In an 8x8 baking dish layer 1 cup sauce, ⅓ of the zucchini slices, and ½ c cheese. Repeat the layers twice more, but do not add the final layer (3/4 c) of cheese.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is bubbly in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.