A deeply flavorful and moist pumpkin cornbread, this recipe for Pumpkin Cornbread makes a great addition to a hearty winter meal or a nice fall snack all on its own.
Warm Spiced Pumpkin Cornbread
We’re taking classic cornbread for a fall spin today.
We really do love all things squash in the fall, and this pumpkin cornbread spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg is the perfect addition to a bowl of fall chili.
We love the deep burnt-orange color that the pumpkin puree gives of this cornbread. It’s definitely not your typical bright yellow cornbread.
Molasses and warm spices give the pumpkin cornbread a nice depth of flavor and the pumpkin puree creates a moist, but still perfectly cornbread-grainy, bread.
The pumpkin flavor isn’t overpowering, but it compliments the cornmeal quite well.
It really is a nice, sweet and flavorful addition to any fall or winter meal, and definitely will be a cornbread variation that we will be going back to.
- 1 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 2 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin, egg, honey, and molasses. Add melted butter, water, and milk. Mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until moistened.
- Spread batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.