This Mango BBQ Chicken Pizza combines a sweet mango barbecue sauce with chicken and the unlikely sweet pizza topping of fresh mangoes for one delicious pizza that reminds us of a summer barbecue.
I don’t know about you, but after this week, I can really use a weekend.
A relaxing one.
This was the first week that we’ve had in a while with a bit more un-scheduled time.
That “free” time meant one thing… catch up time. Household chores, little projects that had been started and never finished, and heading outside now that it’s finally warm enough to start thinking about our yard and (hopefully) garden. It was one of those weeks that had us constantly on the go, getting planned and un-planned tasks taken care of left and right.
(Like an impromptu trip to the hardware store after finding out deer have been making a midnight snack of our baby berry plants. Not cool deer, really not cool. )
It’s nice to look back on a week like this and see the fruits of everything that we accomplished, but right now I just want a view from a comfy seat, maybe with a footstool, drink in hand, without having to worry about what “to do” is coming due next.
While I’m not sure what any of that really has to do with this pizza, I can tell you that I am loving pizza as an easy Friday night dinner. Can you tell?
But, that’s not the pizza we’re talking about today.
Mango BBQ Chicken Pizza With Mango Barbecue Sauce
Today is mango and barbecue goodness.
We love barbecue chicken pizza, and today, mangoes are making everything just a little sweeter.
This mango barbecue chicken pizza not only shows off chunks of bright and sunny mangoes on the top, but it also has a sweet and tangy homemade mango barbecue sauce slathered under all the toppings.
Homemade barbecue sauce is not difficult to make, and while the list of ingredients might look long, it really only takes 10-15 minutes to make. And, it can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to use it.
You might want to make extra sauce, because this mango barbecue sauce is quite addicting!
Here’s to a relaxing weekend!
Sweet mango barbecue sauce adds the perfect touch to this Mango BBQ Chicken Pizza.
Yeild: 1 (12 inch) pizza
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 Tbsp red onion , chopped (½ of a small onion)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ c fresh mango, chopped small (1/3 of a large mango)
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ c water
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 (12 inch) par-baked pizza crust
- 1 c cooked chicken breast, chopped into 1/2” chunks
- ¾ c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 c mango, chopped (the rest of your large mango from the sauce above)
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
Heat butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes until soft. Add remaining sauce ingredients and mix well. Bring to a summer, stirring occasionally.
- Using a potato masher, gently mash the sauce to break up the chunks of mango and reduce the sauce to a nearly uniform consistency.
- Sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated until using.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Top your par-baked pizza crust with roughly 1/3 c sauce.
- Layer chunked chicken over sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese over the chicken.
- Top with mango chunks and red onion rings.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is golden.