Garlic, oregano and a homemade pesto make this Roasted Zucchini Pizza a summer recipe that you do not want to miss!
Roasted Zucchini on Pizza… With Homemade Pesto!
This pizza was inspired by Jaime at Mom’s Test Kitchen, who has a fun and summery recipe for a zucchini pizza with pesto and cherry tomatoes.
We made two main changes to Jamie’s recipe.
She used grape tomatoes, but we had a few beautiful tomatoes left from a generous neighbor, (and I love whole slices of tomato on pizza) so we went that route and just let the slices roast as the pizza cooked.
Second, we’re more of thick crust pizza people, so we used a par-baked pizza crust rather than the tortilla, as Jamie suggests.
If you had some roasted veggies on hand though, the tortilla pizza is a great idea for a quick individual meal.
The zucchini is really the star of the show here. (Sorry pesto.) The smell of oregano and garlic roasting with the zucchini was amazing! And once they came out of the oven, it was hard to save the roasted zucchini for the pizza!
But the pizza was definitely worth the wait.
Garlic, oregano and a homemade pesto make this Roasted Zucchini Pizza a recipe that you do not want to miss!
Yield: 1( 12 inch) pizza
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, mix together zucchini slices, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and olive oil. Arrange slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 min, until soft. (The roasted zucchini can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use.)
- Spread a thin layer of pesto over your pizza crust. Top with cheese, tomato slices, and roasted zucchini.
- Bake pizza on a baking sheet or pre-heated pizza stone for 5-7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and let set 2-3 minutes before serving.
Yield 1/2 c
- 1 c fresh basil leaves packed
- ¼ c Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ c walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- Place all ingredients, except olive oil, in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse on high a few seconds.
- Add olive oil 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing between each addition, until the pesto is the consistency of a spreadable paste.