We’re turning classic Carrot Raisin Salad on it’s head with earthy lentils and a vinaigrette dressing in this playfully sweet Healthy Carrot Raisin Salad.
Classic Carrot Raisin Salad
Particularly in the Southern United States, carrot raisin salad is incredibly popular.
This Southern classic is typically made up of shredded carrots, raisins, mayonnaise, sugar, salt, and pepper.
It’s the perfect combo of sweet and creamy, with a little punch of savory.
My Dad’s family is from Southern Missouri, and while it’s not typically considered the ‘South’ the do bring some classic southern foods to the table. At summer BBQs and cookouts in St. Louis, I’d always hope some relative would bring a big bowl of carrot raisin salad.
Then, I was a happy camper!
Our Healthy Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe
This Healthy Carrot Raisin Salad is a spin off of the classic carrot raisin salad that I love so much.
Typically, I will make my carrot raisin salad with plain yogurt instead of mayo (or half and half) to lighten things up a bit, but today we’re going even healthier and trading in the creamy dressing for a light apple cider vinaigrette.
We’ve also bumped up the nutrition and flavor of this dish by adding lentils. The lentils bring fiber and heartiness to this side dish, making it so filling, you could eat it as a light summer main course.
We're turning classic Carrot Raisin Salad on it's head with earthy lentils and a vinaigrette dressing in this playfully sweet Healthy Carrot Raisin Salad.
Yield: 6 c
- 1 c green lentils, dry
- 1 c raisins
- 3 c water
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 carrots
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- In a medium saucepan, combine lentils, raisins, water, and vinegar. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain any excess liquid.
- While the lentils are cooking, grate the carrots.
- Mix grated carrots with cooked, drained lentils. Stir in nutmeg and ginger.
- Serve cold or warm. Top with almonds or walnuts if desired.