Looking for a quick, vegetarian dinner idea? Garden-fresh veggies make the perfect, flavorful filling in these Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Stuffed Portobellos. They look so classy, but they are so incredibly easy.
Particularly if you’re just filling them with veggie goodness.
Don’t believe me?
Just keep reading.
Making Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
First – Gently gut of the underside of the Portobello Mushroom to make a bowl. (Does that make gutting sound romantic, or does that just sound gross?)
Then – Quickly saute your veggie filling to soften the veggies and enhance the flavors.
Finally – Add a little cheese. (Because everything’s better with cheese.) Then, send those vegetarian stuffed portobello mushrooms for a short stint under the broiler, just long enough to heat everything up.
Your end result is a deliciously filling, vegetarian meal.
It’s a meal that looks like one from a 5-star restaurant. But, it only took you 30 minutes to prepare!
Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 plump Portobello mushrooms
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced (approx 1 c)
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Using a knife, cut off the stem of the Portobello mushroom. With a spoon, carefully scrape out the ribbing and create a bowl in the under-side of the mushroom. Dice all innards and set aside.
- In a medium, non-stick frying pan, heat the oil. Add onion and sauté until starts to sweat (3-5 min). Add zucchini and reserved mushroom innards and cook until just soft (3-5 min).
- Add tomatoes and spices. Sauté an additional 3 minutes to combine the flavors. Remove from heat.
- Place mushroom caps, upside-down, on a greased, foil-lined baking sheet. Gently fill the caps with the warm veggie mixture. Top with a sprinkling of cheese.
- Broil 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted and starting to turn a golden brown.