Our Slow cooker Coq Au Vin recipe makes this classic French dish of wine-braised chicken perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
Fancy French Food: Coq au Vin
Maybe it’s the fancy French name, but something about ‘Coq au Vin’ conjures images of haute cuisine and fancy restaurants. It’s funny, because this dish actually started out as a frugal dish, the cousin of Boeuf Bourgignon, which braises beef in red wine, rather than chicken.
Coq is the French word for rooster, and this dish originated as a way to use old roosters who were no longer useful as breeders. Old roosters were tough, and therefore needed a long braising time in an acidic liquid, like wine, to make the meat tender.
Like Boeuf Bourgignon, Coq au Vin comes from the Burgundy region of France. Which is why it is most common for recipes to call for a Burgundy wine.
Nowadays, ‘Rooster with Wine‘ is nearly always ‘Chicken with Wine’, and while Burgundy is still most common, any dry red wine that you don’t mind drinking will do the trick. Bacon, button mushrooms, onions, and garlic are also added to the mix, creating a wonderful, savory stew, perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Our Slow Cooker Coq au Vin Recipe
While the traditional coq au vin cooks on the stove or in the oven for hours, we’ve made it a set-it-and-forget-it kind of meal in this slow cooker coq au vin recipe.
With just a little prep work, your slow cooker does the work for you, meaning that you can come home to a tasty, high-class French meal.
Hearty French Coq au Vin made easy in your slow cooker.
- 2 lb chicken breast
- 1 lb whole button mushrooms, cleaned
- 2 tsp butter, unsalted
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- ¼ c unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 c Burgundy wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a small, non-stick skillet over medium-high. Add chicken breast and sear on all sides, 2-3 minutes, until golden. Remove and place into a 3 quart slow cooker.
- Place cleaned, whole mushrooms over the chicken.
- Add butter to the skillet and melt over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, and sliced carrots. Saute until the onions begin to soften.
- Add flour and mix until moistened, 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredient and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring until all the flour is dissolved and the mixture begins to thicken, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.