This light and slightly sweet mango curry brings vegetables and chicken into the mix, making for a wonderful sweet and slightly spicy Indian style curry.
I don’t know what it is about mangoes, but we can never get enough of this fruit.
Every time they’re on sale we pounce on one, or more.
Some we freeze for smoothies, some we eat straight up, and the rest we try to throw into any dish we think would benefit from a sweet twist.
Our Mango Chicken and Vegetable Curry Recipe
What we also love is the way the sweetness of the mango brightens the warm curry spices, making this dish a bit lighter and brighter in flavor than some other Indian curries.
Ample chopped veggies add just enough crunch and a great mix of colors to this fresh curry dish.
The chicken in this dish could be easily left out to make it vegetarian, or increased if you really like your meat.
We just tossed in just enough chicken to add a little protein and texture to the dish. But the veggies and the mango really are the star here.
Mango Curry with Vegetables and Chicken
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 potatoes, unpeeled, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ½ Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c water
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 c broccoli, chopped (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 ½ c cooked chicken breast, diced
- ¼ c plain yogurt
- 1 c rice
- 1 ¾ c water
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté until onion begins to soften.
- Add green peppers, diced potatoes, and carrots. Add in curry powder, brown sugar, cumin, and salt. Mix well.
- Pour 1c water over the ingredients in the pan. Cover and simmer 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Uncover, and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender and liquid has been mostly reduced. (Add additional water if needed.)
- While your curry in simmering, make your rice. Mix together 1 3/4 c water and rice in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 min. Remove saucepan from heat and let rice set 5 minutes (without lifting the lid) before serving.
- (Back to the curry.) When your potatoes and carrots are tender, add the green pepper, broccoli, mango, and chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Off of the heat, mix in yogurt.
- Serve over rice.