This slow cooker Cheesy Vegetarian Enchilada Soup is packed full of flavorful peppers and hearty beans for a quick weeknight meal.
I’m excited to be partnering with American Family again for today’s Sunday Supper post. But, you’ll have to excuse us today; we’re getting a little cheesy.
See, American Family is based out of Madison, Wisconsin. (Just a stone’s throw from us!) And, if you didn’t already know it from all the “Cheese Head” talk, let me confirm for you first hand, Wisconsinites love their cheese! (Where else do people debate where and what time of day you can get the freshest, squeakiest cheese curds? I haven’t found another.)
Cooking with cheese can be a bit tricky though. Some cheeses melt well, other’s don’t. Some cheeses are incredibly flavorful, others mellow. Knowing the right cheese can make all the difference in your dish.
Melting Cheese 101
Have you ever tried to melt cheese for mac and cheese or for a soup and ended up with nasty, stringy clumps? We’ve made the hurried mistake, more than once, of dumping the cheese into the pot and just expecting it to melt evenly.
When melting cheese, like you will in this soup, the key is to add a little, shredded, room temperature, cheese at a time, stirring to melt each addition before adding more. That way the cheese can be incorporated as it melts, and it will slowly and lovingly thicken and grab onto whatever it is supposed to be blanketing in cheesy goodness.
CHEESY Vegetarian Enchilada Soup
This soup was inspired by a similar version containing chicken that I had recently at a restaurant. We decided to lighten it up a bit by going vegetarian and skipping the heavy cream. The cheese really becomes the star here, adding just the right amount of saltiness and flavor to the slow simmered peppers. Just a touch of sour cream is all you need to fill out the soup’s creaminess and create a very indulgent-tasting, hearty bowl of soup.
Peppers Don’t Have To Add Spice
A quick word about choosing peppers. Poblanos and jalapenos lose most of their spicyness as they cook, so this soup doesn’t carry too much heat. The poblano simmers with the soup to add flavor, and choosing a jalapeno that is free of any veins will be the most mild. If you are still worried about the spice, or can’t find poblanos, you can substitute a green pepper.
- 1 large poblano pepper, coarse chopped (2 c)
- 1 medium green pepper, coarse chopped (1 c)
- 1 onion, coarse chopped (1 c)
- ½ c pinto beans, dry
- 4 c water
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- ¼ c masa harina (or cornmeal)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1 ½ c corn
- 1 jalapeno (smooth and free of veins), minced (3 Tbsp)
- ¾ c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Extra cheese and sour cream for serving
- In a 3-4 qt crock pot, mix chopped peppers, onions, and dry beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste with 2 cups of water, masa harina and spices. Pour mixture over the vegetables and add remaining water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Turn the crock pot to high and add the corn and jalapeno.
- Slowly stir in cheese, ¼ c at a time, letting each addition melt before adding more.
- Mix in sour cream and lime juice.
- Serve topped with more cheese and sour cream if desired.
For more cheese-filled recipes, check out AmFam’s Back To the Family Dinner Table Pinterest board.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. However, as with all sponsored posts, all opinions are our own.
And now, some more cheese!
Cheesy Recipes Perfect for Sunday Supper:
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Chocolate Moosey
- Fettucine Pumpkin Cauli-fredo by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheeseburger Chowder by Magnolia Days
- Three Cheese Lasagna with Meat Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese Grilled Cheese & Kale Salad by NinjaBaking.com
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake by Country Girl in the Village
- Spinach Feta Greek Impossible Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheesy Vegetarian Enchilada Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Steakhouse Bacon Alfredo Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- 3 Cheese Pumpkin Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cheddar Popcorn Soup by MarocMama
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Cheese Strata by Momma’s Meals
- Chili Relleno Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- French Onion and Apple Soup by Supper for a Steal
- Cheesy Italian Sausage & Kale Quiche by girlichef
- Lighter Stove-top Mac and Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheddar Potato Dumpling Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto, Chevre & Radish Toasted Sandwich by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cheesesteak Poutine by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli Rabe Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper Movement.