This slow cooker Vegetarian Enchilada Soup is packed full of flavorful peppers and hearty beans for a quick weeknight meal.
Today, we’re taking a classic Mexican dish and turning it into an easy slow cooker dinner that is sure to please the whole family!
But first, we need to talk about some of the ingredients that go into this Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup!
Melting Cheese 101
Have you ever tried to melt cheese for mac and cheese or for a soup and ended up with nasty, stringy clumps? We’ve made the hurried mistake, more than once, of dumping the cheese into the pot and just expecting it to melt evenly.
When melting cheese, like you will in this soup, the key is to add a little, shredded, room temperature, cheese at a time, stirring to melt each addition before adding more. That way the cheese can be incorporated as it melts, and it will slowly and lovingly thicken and grab onto whatever it is supposed to be blanketing in cheesy goodness.
Our CHEESY Vegetarian Enchilada Soup Recipe
This soup was inspired by a similar version containing chicken that I had recently at a restaurant. We decided to lighten it up a bit by going vegetarian and skipping the heavy cream. The cheese really becomes the star here, adding just the right amount of saltiness and flavor to the slow simmered peppers. Just a touch of sour cream is all you need to fill out the soup’s creaminess and create a very indulgent-tasting, hearty bowl of soup.
Peppers Don’t Have To Add Spice
A quick word about choosing peppers. Poblanos and jalapenos lose most of their spicyness as they cook, so this soup doesn’t carry too much heat. The poblano simmers with the soup to add flavor, and choosing a jalapeno that is free of any veins will be the most mild. If you are still worried about the spice, or can’t find poblanos, you can substitute a green pepper.
- 1 large poblano pepper, coarse chopped (2 c)
- 1 medium green pepper, coarse chopped (1 c)
- 1 onion, coarse chopped (1 c)
- ½ c pinto beans, dry
- 4 c water
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- ¼ c masa harina (or cornmeal)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1 ½ c corn
- 1 jalapeno (smooth and free of veins), minced (3 Tbsp)
- ¾ c shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Extra cheese and sour cream for serving
- In a 3-4 qt crock pot, mix chopped peppers, onions, and dry beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste with 2 cups of water, masa harina and spices. Pour mixture over the vegetables and add remaining water.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Turn the crock pot to high and add the corn and jalapeno.
- Slowly stir in cheese, ¼ c at a time, letting each addition melt before adding more.
- Mix in sour cream and lime juice.
- Serve topped with more cheese and sour cream if desired.
This is one of the recipes from the early days of Curious Cuisiniere. We’ve updated our pictures since we first made it, but we’ve left the original images here as a fun throwback and shout out to how far we’ve come. Enjoy!