Ok, it’s confession time.
Neither of us had ever had a Portobello burger before this little experiment.
But, my suspicion is that many of you are probably sitting there right now thinking that you’ve never had one either.
If you’re like us, you’re thinking, “Ok, from the pictures it kind of looks like a legit burger. And sure, it’s a mushroom big enough to fit on a burger bun. But, why would I bother? It’s a mushroom for Pete’s sake! A mushroom between two slices of bread!”
And yes, we would agree, this is not a crumbly, beefy, ‘give-me-my-meat’ kind of burger.
But, it is probably the juiciest ‘burger’ you will ever sink your teeth into.
And, if you’re in the ‘charcoal grill only’ camp, all that beautiful smoky flavor of the charcoal will magically infuse themselves into every single, chin-wiping bite.
This is what veggie burgers are all about.
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2 Portobello mushrooms (look for mushrooms that are thicker with a smaller diameter)
- 2 Sourdough rolls
- Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion
- Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place portobellos,upside down, in a shallow bowl and pour marinade over them. Marinate for 30 minutes while you heat the grill.
- Once the grill is nice and hot, place mushrooms, top-down on the grill grates. Cover, and grill mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, just until marks begin to show.
- Flip mushrooms and grill the second side for 2-3 minutes.
- When mushrooms are nice and hot, place on a split sourdough roll and top with additional veggies as desired.
- Be sure to have an extra napkin handy, these babies get juicy!
This week’s #SundaySupper is about cooking allergy free. Be it dairy, gluten, eggs, nuts, or others, food allergies are a real issue that cause many families to have to drastically switch their cooking and eating habbits. We are very blessed to have no major food allergies in our house at the moment, so it was incredibly eye-opening to think about food allergies this week when picking a #SundaySupper post.
Thanks to Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper.
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat party starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to see you to join all you need to do is follow[ the #SundaySupper hashtag and please do not forget to include the hashtag in your tweets as well. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.