This rich dark hot chocolate recipe isn’t for the faint of heart. If you like rich, creamy, dark chocolate, this homemade hot chocolate is for you.
Hopefully today finds you close to those your love, in person or in spirit, enjoying good food, company, and conversation.
How to make homemade dark hot chocolate
Today we’re bringing you a quick and simple hot chocolate recipe, deeper and richer than any of those package mixes, and it doesn’t take much longer to make!
(If you love French Mousse Au Chocolate, this hot chocolate recipe is for you!)
You probably have everything to make this cup of deliciousness in your pantry already.
Milk? Cocoa powder? Butter? Vanilla? Honey? This is a tough one… salt?
Go ahead and check. I’ll wait.
Our Dark Hot Chocolate Recipe
This hot chocolate isn’t for the faint of heart. If you like dark chocolate, this is for you. If you like rich and creamy chocolate, this is for you.
Whether your pleasure is to add some mini marshmallows, a peppermint stick, or a splash of brandy, (We won’t tell.) this hot chocolate is an experience in itself.
Homemade Rich Dark Hot Chocolate
- ¼ c salted butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ c cocoa powder
- 4 c milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter with honey over medium heat.
- Whisk in cocoa powder until dissolved.
- Add milk slowly, whisking constantly, and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt and vanilla (and additional honey if necessary) to taste. Simmer 2-3 minutes until frothy.
- Serve with marshmallows or a candy cane.