This sweet and smoky Hawaiian Coleslaw is a vinegar-based slaw that is as colorful as the Hawaiian Islands themselves.
This week for Sunday Supper we’re going on a picnic!
I miss a lot of things about spring and summer during the winter months, but one of them is eating outside. Tim and I love to pack up dinner and go on a bike ride or hike.
It’s a perfectly relaxing end to the day.
And then, there are the family picnics. The loud and boisterous pot luck cook outs where people always seem to be in the best of spirits because they are outdoors, enjoying company, and eating some really good food.
And, if your family’s anything like mine, there’s always ample coleslaw.
We’re bringing a twist to the classic today with this Hawaiian Coleslaw.
While many traditional Hawaiian coleslaws will be creamy, mayo-based, our version is closer to your classic vinegar slaw than the cream-based version. We’re calling it Hawaiian because the bright tropical flavors were inspired by the islands!
Pineapple and Mandarin oranges give this dish sweetness, while soy sauce and a hint of liquid smoke bring the flavors of the Pacific.
- 4 c cabbage, finely cut or shredded (about ¼ of a large head)
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- ½ green pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, sliced and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (11oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 c pineapple chunks, roughly chopped with liquid reserved
- 1 Tbsp pineapple juice (reserved from the can, above)
- 3 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 dashes liquid smoke
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ c unsalted whole or slivered almonds for topping
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic, oranges, and pineapples.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, vinegar, oil, soy sauce, liquid smoke and ginger.
- Pour sauce over veggies and toss until well coated.
- Top with almonds if desired.
Thanks to Katy at Happy Baking Days for hosting this week’s event!
Salads and Slaws:
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Chopped Salad from Table for Seven
- Cold Pea Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Creamy Potato Salad with Roasted Pears, Cilantro and Romano Cheese from Gourmet Drizzles
- German Potato Salad from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Hawaiian Cole Slaw from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Chopped Salad from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kale Pasta Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mizeria (Polish Cucumber Salad) from From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- PA Dutch Pepper Cabbage from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pineapple Slaw from I Run For Wine
- Spaghetti Salad from Country Girl in the Village
- Tortellini Pasta Salad from Supper for a Steal
Sandwiches and Mains:
- Avocado Chicken Salad Sandwich from Momma’s Meals
- Caramelized Onion, Goat Cheese, and Tomato Sandwich from Magnolia Days
- Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Sauce from Foxes Love Lemons
- Herbs-Garlic and Parmesan Croissants from Basic N Delicious
- Indian Spiced Chicken Drumsticks from Soni’s Food
- Japanese Picnic Bento Box from The Ninja Baker
- Mini Chicken Salad, Avocado and Cheese Subs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Moroccan Fried Chicken from MarocMama
- Pepper, Spinach and Goat’s Cheese Quiche from Happy Baking Days
- Picnic Basket Buttermilk Fried Chicken from Noshing with the Nolands
- Salmon in a Jar from Healthy. Delicious.
- Smoked Trout Deviled Eggs from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spam Musubi fromKimchi Mom
- Apricot Oat Nut Bars from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treat Pops from In The Kitchen With KP
- Cocoa Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fruit Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fruit Salad with Honey Port Drizzle from Family Foodie
- Loaded Butterscotch Bars from Vintage Kitchen
- Nathan’s Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Truffles from Chocolate Moosey
- Shandy Popsicles With Raspberries from Ruffles & Truffles
- Texas Sheet Cake with Pecan Frosting from Food Lust People Love
- Triple Chocolate Punch Bowl Cake from Neighborfood
- Fresh Limeade with Chia Seeds from girlichef
- Pineapple Sangria from Growing Up Gabel
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade from The Messy Baker Blog
- Strawberry Lemonade from Gotta Get Baked
- Top 10 Wines for Picnic #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine blog
- Watermelon Agua Fresca from Daily Dish Recipes
You can join in the chat on Twitter too: we’ll tweet throughout the day and share all of our picnic recipes. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. To join in, just follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets. You can also check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.