Persian Salad Shirazi is a chopped cucumber tomato salad with red onions and mint in a citrus dressing.
What is Salad Shirazi?
Salad Shirazi is a refreshing Persian side dish of chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and mint. Think of it as the Persian cousin to pica de gallo.
The salad originates from the city of Shiraz in modern day Iran.
This salad is found often in Middle Eastern and Persian cuisine. And, as such, you will find many variations on this salad, sometimes using different herbs and using lemon or lime juice.
It is a salad to celebrate summer’s produce!
Tomatoes, cucumbers, and mint always grow in abundance in our garden. They’re some of the few things that I can always count on. This salad had become a favorite for us when we’re swimming in summer’s bounty!
What Cucumbers To Use In Salad Shirazi
Using Persian or English cucumbers for this salad are ideal, since they have less seeds and a light skin.
If you use other types of cucumbers, you may want to cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and scoop out some of the seeds, and you may want to peel them as well, at least a bit.
What To Serve With Salad Shirazi
It is the perfect light dish to balance out a heavier main, but also the perfect accompaniment to a light summer meal on a hot day.
More Cucumber Salads!
If summer has hit and your garden is full of cucumber, you’ll want to check out our recipes for German Cucumber Salad, Chinese Tiger Salad, Thai Cucumber Salad, and Traditional Greek Salad to make good use of your bounty!
- 1 ½ large English or Persian cucumbers, finely diced*
- 1 large tomato, finely diced
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped or 2 tsp dried mint
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)**
- ¼ tsp salt
- Dash ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix finely diced cucumbers, tomato, and onions.
- Add the chopped fresh mint, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper, and lime juice as desired.
- For best flavor, let the salad rest, covered and refrigerated, for 1-2 hours for the flavors to develop before serving.
*If English or Persian cucumbers are not available, you may want to peel and seed your cucumbers before dicing for the salad.
**Lemon juice can also be used if preferred.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 17