This Thyme and Rosemary Potato Salad blends summer herbs with roasted potatoes for a chunky potato salad that is lightened up with plain yogurt.
A Roasted Potato Salad
We’ve really been on a kick with roasting veggies recently. The way the sugars caramelize and the flavors intensify. The oven crisped exterior and soft interior. Roasting really does wonders to nearly every vegetable we’ve tried.
So, we had the idea to roast potatoes for this potato salad, rather than boil them, as we’ve always seen them done.
The result was fantastic!
Roasting creates a nice crisp exterior to these potatoes. And, even if they don’t stay crisp once the dressing is added, it allows the potato chunks to hold their definition in the salad.
Our Summer Thyme and Rosemary Potato Salad Recipe
The rosemary and thyme we added to the potatoes for roasting became very fragrant and added a nice depth of flavor to this potato salad.
So much flavor, in fact, that the dressing here is relatively simple: half mayo, half plain yogurt (to lighten things up a bit), with a bit of vinegar thrown in for an added punch.
Simplicity allows the thyme and rosemary in this potato salad to really shine through.
Roasted Thyme and Rosemary Potato Salad
- 3 lbs potatoes (any kind)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1 Tbsp dry, ground
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 Tbsp dry, ground
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ c plain yogurt
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 475F.
- Wash the potatoes and cut into 1” chunks.
- Place the potato chunks and diced onion into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and salt. Add mixture to potatoes and onions, and toss to coat.
- Spread the potato mixture on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potatoes from oven and allow to cool.
- Mix together yogurt, mayo, and vinegar.
- When the potatoes have cooled, place them in a large bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the potatoes and toss until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate the potato salad, covered, for 2-4 hours before serving.