Now that I’ve made twice baked potatoes and realized how easily they come together, these crisp little boats of goodness have started making a more regular appearance on our dinner table. They are such a fun way to change up baked or mashed potatoes, and there are so many variations just begging for experimentation.
Like this version: chock full of gooey cheddar cheese and slightly crisp broccoli.
You can’t see it, but there’s a bit of crumbled bacon in there too. It adds just the right surprise of salty crunch. And what isn’t better with bacon?
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 3 strips of bacon, fried and broken into small bits
- ½ c raw broccoli, chopped into ½" pieces
- ½ c shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you like)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Wash potatoes and prick with a fork. Place in preheated oven, on the oven racks.
- Bake potatoes for 30 - 45 minutes, until a fork will insert smoothy into the potato flesh.
- Remove potatoes from oven and let set on a wire rack until they are cool enough to handle.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inner potato, being careful to leave the skins in tact.
- Place all the potato insides in a bowl. Add milk, bacon pieces, chopped broccoli, and cheese. Mix until combined.
- Carefully, spoon the mixture back into the potato skins.
- Place filled potato halves onto a baking sheet, top with additional cheese if desired.
- Return to oven and bake 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are golden.