Explore the savory side of sweet potatoes with this Sweet Potato Hash Breakfast Skillet, made hearty with ham, tomatoes, eggs, and two kinds of potatoes.
Can you believe February is nearly over? I know it’s a short month and all, but this year it seems to have flown by.
As the cold and snow still lingers, hearty and sustaining breakfasts have been our go-to.
Full of the savory goodness of eggs, sweet potatoes, and ham, this Sweet Potato Hash Breakfast Skillet is just the thing to beat the morning chill and get the day started off right.
Making a Breakfast Skillet
We love that a breakfast hash is the perfect, hearty, one-pot meal. The savory base and the eggs can all be cooked in the same vessel.
A skillet with a lid makes easy work of cooking the eggs without burning the rest of the dish. We loved using our heavy cast iron skillet for easy clean up, and we just happen to have a lid from one of our soup pots that fits the top well enough to keep most of the heat in.
Our Sweet Potato Hash recipe
The sweet potatoes give a subtle sweetness to the dish, but the salty ham, acidic tomatoes, and herby savory and tarragon definitely round out the sweetness with savory flavors, pulling out more of the flavor of the potato itself, rather than simple dwelling on its sweetness.
For us, it was a successful endeavor in continuing to explore the savory side of sweet potatoes.
Interested in more savory sweet potato dishes? Check out our Southwest Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for a fun potato side dish or a light vegetarian meal.
Sweet Potato Hash Breakfast Skillet
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 onion, coarse chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into ½” chunks (roughly 2 c)
- 1 large white potato, cut into ½” chunks (roughly 2 c)
- 1 c vegetable stock (we prefer low sodium)
- 1 c cooked ham, diced
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp savory
- ½ tsp tarragon
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- ½ c Swiss cheese, sliced or shredded
- In a 9” cast iron skillet (or 9” nonstick skillet) with a lid, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until golden brown.
- Add sweet potato, white potato, and vegetable stock. Cover and simmer over medium heat, 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer an additional 5 minutes, until no liquid remains and potatoes are tender.
- Add ham, tomatoes, and seasonings. Mix well and cook until heated through.
- Crack eggs directly over mixture in skillet. (If you are worried about the egg not staying in one place, cracking the egg into a small bowl and then pouring it over the mixture in the skillet works well.)
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs.
- Turn heat to medium-low, cover skillet, and cook 3-5 minutes until eggs are cooked to your desired consistency and cheese is melted.