When we heard about this week’s Sunday Supper theme, “Stuff it, Roll it, Wrap it,” we knew we wanted to do something different.
We love wraps for a quick, portable lunch. We’ve only successfully rolled one set of cabbage rolls; so we need a bit of training on that one before we attempted them again. Stuffed is always good. But, we have a lot of stuffed recipes: German Stuffed Rolls, Russian Stuffed Rolls, and the Polish version of ravioli – Pierogi.
We wanted to get out of our stuffed box. (Yup. Pun intended.)
I threw out the idea for stuffed pancakes. Sure, it’s still stuffed, but at least we would move to the breakfast realm. (And, you’ll probably be seeing those make an appearance here soon, because the idea really intrigued us.) But, Tim ran the idea a few steps further and suggested a stuffed pancake roll.
Not just filling wrapped, crepe-like. Nope. He was envisioning those decadent cake rolls, but one that he could eat for breakfast.
That’s my husband!
So, we had a plan. But, would it work?
The filling was no problem. Strawberries and whipped cream seemed naturally spring-y.
But, the pancake. How do you flip a pancake that is big enough to roll?
Avoid the problem all together!
We broke out our biggest, covered, non-stick skillet.
By using a covered skillet, we could cook the top of the pancake through without flipping. Non-stick is key here, and with just a bit of coaxing with a rubber spatula, the cooked pancake slid out of the skillet like a dream.
I don’t know about you, but I’d take a big slice of this for breakfast any morning!
- ½ c all purpose flour
- ¼ c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ c skim milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 c heavy cream, chilled
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 c strawberries, sliced (more for topping individual slices if desired)
- Powdered sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat a large, 18” non-stick skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat together milk, egg, and melted butter. Stir slowly into dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Pour all of the batter at once into the skillet and spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Cover and cook for 4-6 minutes, until the top is firm.
- Uncover and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the top is dry.
- Remove pan from the heat and loosen the pancake gently with a rubber spatula. Slide the pancake onto a clean tea towel and cover the pancake with the towel to cool slightly, 3-5 minutes. (If you don’t let the pancake cool, the whipped cream will melt as soon as you fill the pancake. Wrapping the pancake in a towel while it cools lets the steam keep the pancake soft and pliable for rolling.)
- While the pancake is cooling, make the whipped cream. Starting slowly, beat the chilled cream using an electric mixer with whisk beaters in a chilled bowl. Once the cream starts to thicken, add 1 Tbsp powdered sugar and ¼ tsp vanilla. Once the sugar and vanilla are incorporated, increase the speed and beat until soft peaks form. (To check for soft peaks, turn off the mixer and lift the beaters out of the cream. Soft peaks will droop to the side and not hold a stiff peak after the beater is removed.)*
- Gently fold the sliced strawberries into 2 c of the whipped cream.
- When the pancake is cool to the touch, carefully unwrap it from the towel.
- Spread the whipped cream mixture evenly across the pancake. Roll the pancake gently to encase the filling.
- Gently place your rolled pancake onto the serving platter and dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Check out all of this week’s Stuffed, Wrapped, and Rolled recipes. Thanks to Amy from Kimchi Mom for hosting!
Starters and Snacks
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso (cheese stuffed cornmeal cakes) by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Rolls by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herbed Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por – Persian Stuffed Eggplant by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Rolled Greek Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All things Sweet
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.