This Kicked Up Spicy Meatloaf is a flavorful chili-filled twist on the classic, retro American comfort food.
Today we’re going all American. And not just any American. We’re talking RETRO American.
Food for a Retro party: Spicy Meatloaf
When we started thinking about retro food, for some reason meatloaf was one of the first things to come to mind. A thick slice of a savory loaf with some mashed potatoes and green beans just seemed like a hearty and classic meal.
Since we’ve been on a spicy kick lately, we decided to add a bit of heat to your traditional meatloaf to change things up a bit.
This is an incredibly flavorful loaf, even outside of the spiciness, so if you like things a bit more on the mild side, you can always cut back on the amount of red pepper or hot sauce.
Kicked Up Meatloaf
For The Meatloaf
- 2 lb ground beef, 85% lean
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 c breadcrumbs
- 1 c wheat germ (or more breadcrumbs)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp groundblack pepper
For The Glaze
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together all meatloaf ingredients until just combined. (Be careful not to over work the beef.)
- Press mixture into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- While your loaf is baking, mix all glaze ingredients.
- After 45 min, remove loaf from the oven and top with glaze.
- Return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove loaf from oven and let set 5 minutes before serving.
If you’re looking for more food for a retro party, look no further. The Sunday Supper member have you covered with a great collection of dishes that will bring you WAY back!
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- Retro Football Party: Fondue, Deviled Chicken Wings & Lemon Chiffon by Zest Florida Foodie
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by Yummy What Smells So Good?
Retro Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trial in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Tator Tot Casserole by Neighbor Food Blog
Retro Desserts and Retro Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy Foodie Stunts
If you liked this recipe, here are some similar dishes you may enjoy!
Sarah is co-owner of Curious Cuisiniere and the chief researcher and recipe developer for the site. Her love for cultural cuisines was instilled early by her French Canadian Grandmother. Her experience in the kitchen and in recipe development comes from years working in professional kitchens. She has traveled extensively and enjoys bringing the flavors of her travels back to create easy-to-make recipes.