Are you a sauce buyer or a sauce maker? Or are you somewhere in the middle?
We fall in that middle category, but we are slowly transitioning to making more and more of our sauces at home.
At first, it seems like a lot of work.
I mean, come on, pouring out of a bottle that you picked up at the store, and that will last for eons in your fridge is really the easy way to go.
And making ALL your own sauces seem so, incredibly daunting.
It’s the slowness of the transition that makes it manageable.
If you can make pasta sauce, you can make ketchup. If you can make ketchup, you can make bbq sauce. If you can use a blender, you can make mayo and mustard.
The list goes on, and it gets pretty contagious. And, once you get your groove down, it doesn’t take much extra time.
Like this teriyaki sauce.
Teriyaki chicken and stir fries are one of those things that we love, but we never have the sauce on hand, so we never make it. Or, we’ll buy the sauce, and then use it once. So, it sits in the fridge for… well… we’ll just say a really long time.
But, it only took minutes to combine some pantry staples together, and we were able to whip up just enough teriyaki for our meal. And, as a bonus, our sauce was lower in calories, carbs, and sugar than the (well marinated) marinade in our fridge.
If you do like having teriyaki on hand, you could always freeze this sauce in ice cube trays, so you just have to pop a couple cubes into your frying pan for a quick sauce.
- ½ c reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¼ c cooking sherry
- 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger, ground
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- In a small saucepan heat all ingredients, except the cornstarch, together over low heat until the molasses and honey has dissolved. Remove the saucepan from the heat and mix in the cornstarch, until dissolved.
- Use sauce to season rice or stir fries.*
If you love making our own sauces, then you’ll love this collection of homemade sauce recipes! Many thanks to Foodie Stuntman for hosting this collection.
Ready to get saucy?
- Port Wine and Fig Sauce from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Jalepeno Cranberry Sauce from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Homemade Steak Sauce from Juanita’s Cocina
- Tomato Kasundi from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Tartar Sauce from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Dairyfree Mushroom Sauce from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Wine Sauce | Molho de Vinho Tinto from Family Foodie
- Guava BBQ Sauce from Basic N Delicious
Pasta Sauces and Pastas with Sauce
- Chardonnay Seafood Sauce (with Linguine) from Country Girl in the Village
- Italian-Style Tomato Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Guiltless Alfredo Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Sicilian Marinara Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
- Basil Pesto from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Angel Hair Pasta with Neapolitan Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Lentil Marinara Pasta Sauce from Alida’s Kitchen
- Lamb Ragout from Maroc Mama
- Black Walnut Kale Pesto with Zucchini Spaghetti from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Amatriciana Sauce from The Weekend Gourmet
Entreés with Sauces
- Chicken Tikka Masala from I Run For Wine
- Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Garlic Mushrooms In Red Wine Sauce from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Jack Daniel’s Honey Barbecue Baked Wings from Chocolate Moosey
- Salmon with Homemade Caper Onion Mayonnaise from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken with Mushroom Demi-Glace from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Mrs. A’s Skillet Lemon Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Philly Strip Steaks with Provolone Sauce and Caramelized Onions from The Texan New Yorker
- Sweet & Sour Garlic Chicken Wings from Big Bear’s Wife
- Banana Pudding Sauce from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Raspberry Red Wine Sauce from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Applesauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Applesauce from Citronlimette
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce from The Messy Baker
- Port Wine Cranberry Sauce from Webicurean
- Pumpkin Caramel Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
Desserts with Sauces
- Sticky Toffee Pudding w/ Toffee Sauce from girlichef
- Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce (over Chocolate Rosemary Cake) from Gotta Get Baked
- Pear Tatin with Rum Caramel Sauce from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bananas Foster from MidLife Road Trip
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.