A stack of delicious, savory Cornmeal Waffles is the perfect breakfast or dinner, particularly with a fried egg and bacon!
What About Savory Waffles?
Sure, we all love a stack of sweet waffles covered in maple syrup with a generous pat of salted butter melting into all the wonderful waffle crevasses.
But, have you ever ventured into the realm of savory waffles?
Our Recipe For Southern Inspired Savory Cornmeal Waffles
These savory cornmeal waffles get a smoky Southern US kick with the addition of cumin. Chives in the waffle batter gives them a light onion flavor that complements a fried egg perfectly.
And, just in case you’re really missing your oozing sauce with these waffles: a runny fried egg does just the trick.
Add some crispy bacon, and you’re in savory waffle heaven.
We can totally call these breakfast, dinner, or anything in between!
Savory Cornmeal Waffles with Eggs and Bacon
- 1 ¼ c unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ c cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 ¼ c buttermilk*
- 4 Tbsp salted butter, melted and let cool slightly
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 slices bacon, fried crispy
- 4 - 8 eggs, cooked any way you like them
- Salsa (optional)
- Preheat your waffle iron. Preheat your oven to its lowest setting to keep your finished waffles warm.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and seasonings. Mix to combine.
- Add the melted butter and eggs to your buttermilk and whisk to combine. Add the wet mixture to flour and stir until just incorporated.
- Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick spray (if necesary). Fill your iron and cook the waffles according to your iron's directions.
- Continue until all the batter has been transformed, keeping the finished waffles warm in the oven.
This is one of the recipes from the early days of Curious Cuisiniere. We’ve updated our pictures since we first made it, but we’ve left the original images here as a fun throwback and shout out to how far we’ve come. Enjoy!