So, you guys already know that we’re a big fan of wings. But, we do try to always have some veggies and healthier options on our party table.
That’s where these ‘wings’ come in.
There’s no actual replacement for a sticky, meaty wing, but there’s also no harm in jazzing up roasted cauliflower in a wing-like style. (And, if there are vegetarians in your crowd, they’ll be happy to see something a but more fun than the raw veggie tray that they can munch on.)
To make the ‘wings’ we’ve taken bite-sized cauliflower florets and coated them in a light buttermilk batter. Then, into the oven they go for a roasting that sweetens the cauliflower and crisps up the batter. You could always stop here if you wanted a crisp, battered cauliflower.
But, we do love our spice.
The crispy wings are then tossed with hot sauce and returned to the oven to bake the sauce into the cauliflower’s coating.
The hot sauce we’re using today is from one of the #10DaysofTailgate sponsors, Intensity Academy. Their Carrot Karma Hot Sauce is a blend of carrots and Habaneros, which makes these ‘wings’ even more veggie-fied!
We served the wings with our healthy blue cheese dressing.
Just mix 1/4 c plain, non-fat yogurt with 1-2 Tbsp crumbled blue cheese (depending on how much you like blue cheese). Mash it together a bit to mix the cheese into the yogurt. Then, refrigerate it for 1 hour or more (up to 24 hours) to let the yogurt pull the flavor out of the cheese.
We received the Carrot Karma Hot Sauce used in this recipe as a part of #10DaysofTailgate. All opinions are our own.
- ½ c flour
- ½ c buttermilk*
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- ⅓ c hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, buttermilk, onion powder and garlic powder to form the batter for the 'wings.' Add the chopped cauliflower and toss until well coated.
- Place the battered cauliflower onto a greased and foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour hot sauce over the 'wings.' Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Here’s what the rest of the crew brought to the game:
- BBQ Sausage & Cheese Plate by The Spiffy Cookie
- Vegified Hot “Wings” by Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Polenta Cakes with Grilled Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Love and Confections
- Smoky Karma Stovetop Beans by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chile con Queso by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Kicking Karma Veggie Fajita Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Not Ketchup Cherry Chipotle Steak Tacos by Making Miracles
- BBQ Chickpea Sliders with Apple Slaw by Debbi Does Dinner Healthy
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili by The Pajama Chef
- Beef Kabobs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
A huge thank you goes to Culinary Adventures with Camilla for putting together the #10DaysofTailgate event, and to all our sponsors who have graciously donated prizes for our readers. There are fourteen different prize packages so make sure you enter the rafflecopter HERE and check back throughout the event for all the tasty food. Don’t forget to follow the hashtag on Twitter too!