This week Sunday Supper turns 2!
It’s so exciting that this group, that started as Twitter conversation, has grown into such a supportive family of a community.
I stumbled upon the group while browsing girlichef, and Heather was awesome about walking me through how to apply. (If you’d like to join us, check out the link at the bottom of this post!)
My first Sunday Supper post was Herbed Holiday Party Mix in December 2012. I remember being so nervous, wanting everything to go just right, and sending Heather a myriad of questions, which she so patiently answered.
And then, Sunday morning came. The best surprise ever was waking up to an onslaught of comments on my Sunday Supper post welcoming me to the group. I remember thinking how amazing it was that all these people, who I had never interacted with before, automatically accepted me as one of the family. And, really, what I experienced that morning was only the tip of an iceberg that I would continue to discover as I became more involved in the community.
It is such a beautiful thing to have a community of people, even though I have never met any of them in person (Hopefully soon!), who are willing to give support and advice and share experiences learned in this blogging journey.
To celebrate today, I picked one of the many past Sunday Supper recipes that we have had our eyes on making. Paula over at Vintage Kitchen Notes made a Roasted Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco back in November for a winter squash Sunday Supper. We made a few changes to the dish, like using acorn squash and a wild rice blend, but we mostly kept the flavors the same. The result was a fantastic dish in a style we haven’t cooked in before. But, we’ve decided that more layered and baked rice dished should be in our future.
- 1 ½ lb acorn squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c wild rice blend, dry
- 2 c water
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
- Toss squash cubes with olive oil, cumin, turmeric, and salt. Place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Roast squash for 30 minutes, checking and stirring halfway through.
- In a medium saucepan heat rice with water. Simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and let set 5 minutes for the remaining moisture to absorb. Stir in paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Place roasted squash in the bottom of a greased, 2 qt ovenproof dish. Top with half of the queso fresco. Spread rice over top of the cheese, and finish off the top with the remaining queso.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown.
Today’s birthday bash is being hosted by Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake. Thanks Liz!
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.