Kernels of sweet corn stud this sweet and flavorful Mealie Bread, a South African sweetcorn bread that is sure to delight any cornbread fan.
Mealie bread is a traditional South African quick bread made from mealie, known in other parts of the world as maize, or corn.
Maize was first grown for food in indigenous Mexico, and it is thought that the Portuguese were the first to bring maize from the Americas to Africa. It became quite popular in many parts of Africa where it was (and is) used to make a number of pudding and bread dishes.
A steamed mealie bread
Mealie bread was traditionally made by steaming rather than baking.
A large pot of boiling water would have been put on the stove (or campfire) with a can, or something similar, inside to act as a platform for the bread pan. Then, the loaf pan with the bread batter was placed into the boiling water so the water came about halfway up the sides of the pan. The pot was then covered and the bread steamed.
Steaming is a gentle cooking process that cooks the corn slowly, creating a very tender consistency. The resulting bread is very moist, more like a cross between a thick, cooked pudding and a quickbread.
This traditional, moist and dense mealie bread is still very popular today. But, while we were in South Africa, we were served mealie bread that had a a dry crust from baking and a crumbly texture, more similar to the Southern US cornbreads we are familiar with. It is this version that we used as the model for today’s mealie bread.
This bread is definitely more of a sweetcorn bread than a traditional American cornbread, because it uses whole corn kernels in the batter. The sweet corn kernels are partially ground, giving the bread a moist texture and a fun pop of flavor as you bite into the whole kernels.
There’s nothing like fresh sweet corn, and this sweetcorn bread really captures the essence of the sweet corn harvest in a delicious and comforting loaf!
- ½ c milk
- ¼ c salted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 c sweet corn kernels (thawed if frozen, cut off of the cob if fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Butter/grease a 8 ½ x 4 ½ loaf tin.
- Place all of the ingredients, except 1 cup of corn into your blender and pulse until the batter comes together. Add the remaining cup of corn and pulse a few times to mix the kernels into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the mealie bread for 50-55 min. Until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 3-5 minutes before turning the bread out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Serve warm.
Celebrate Corn with #SundaySupper
We’re celebrating everything corn today with the #SundaySupper group. So, get ready for the corn harvest season with these great recipes! Thanks to Ellen Folkman from Family Around the Table for hosting this week’s event!
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.