This butternut squash and Brussels sprout pizza brings fall favorite ingredients together with caramelized onions and a touch of blue cheese for a winning fall flavor combination.
What’s your favorite winter squash?
Is it the classic Pumpkin? Sweet Butternut? Nutty Acorn? Stringy Spaghetti? How about Delicata, Hubbard, or Festival?
This week, we have a mash up of recipes using these fall beauties for today’s Sunday Supper!
What are winter squash?
Winter squash are characterized by their tough outer skin, which makes them perfect for storing and eating through the winter.
They lend themselves perfectly to hearty dishes like soups and stews. We love the way their flavors burst to a new dimension when roasted. You can roast winter squash whole or just roast the cubed inner flesh, as we do in this dish.
Roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprout pizza!
We can’t even begin to explain where the inspiration for this dish came from.
We love roasting squash and roasting Brussels sprouts, and the sweetness of the squash seemed like the perfect balance for the slight bitterness of the Brussels sprouts. Both ingredients are so flavorful on their own, we don’t really need any extra seasoning. So, we just barely salt and pepper-ed the veggies before sending them into the oven. We wanted their natural, caramelized flavors to really pop and shine through!
What kind of sauce do you put on that?
And, how to ‘sauce’ it?
Onions are a natural pairing for both Brussels sprouts and squash, but typically we’ll throw them in the oven to roast side by side.
We knew we’d need something to tie the crust to the veggies, a ‘sauce’ of sorts, so we caramelized the onions while the other veggies were roasting to create a nice sweet base for our roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprout pizza.
Cooking low and slow is best!
Here are two cooking methods where SLOW is better. By using a low heat for the onions and moderate heat for the veggies, we can cook each for longer, letting the sugars caramelize and bringing forth some magical falavors.
We stirred a bit of beef broth into the deeply golden onions and tossed in just a pinch of blue cheese to make it creamier, and more sauce-like.
Let me tell you, there is nothing like blue cheese and Brussels sprouts for a winning fall combo!
The result for all our crazy pairing was a pizza unlike anything we have tasted before.
Tim joked that a lot of people might not even consider this concoction pizza due to the lack of tomato and apparent absence of cheese.
‘True’ pizza or not, it’s the perfect vegetarian meal for fall!
- 1 (12”) par-baked pizza crust (or make your own)
- 2 c butternut squash, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 c Brussels sprouts, halved
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch pepper
- Dash of canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thin
- ¼ c beef broth
- 1.5 oz crumbled blue cheese (3 Tbsp)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and mix squash and Brussels sprouts on pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 30 min, stirring halfway through.
- In a large, cast iron (or non-stick) skillet, heat a dash of oil. Add onions and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until deeply caramel in color (roughly 30 min). (Add oil as needed to keep onions from sticking.)
- When the squash is done, remove the pan from the oven and decrease the oven heat to 375F. If you are using a pizza stone, place the stone in the oven to pre-heat.
- Increase the heat under the onions to medium. Stir the beef broth into the caramelized onions, scraping the bottom of the pan to de-glaze. Add the blue cheese and stir until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Spread the onion mixture over the crust. Top with roasted squash and Brussels sprouts.
- Place the pizza on the hot stone in the oven and bake 7-10 min, until the crust is golden.
Fall Recipes with #SundaySupper
Thanks to Heather from girlichef for hosting this week! Boy do we have a collection for you!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.