Many thanks to Mama’s Blissful Bites for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper, which is a veritable garden of spring and St. Patrick’s Day inspired recipes to get us looking forward to warmer weather and sunshine.
Now, I must say, as I’m writing this it is snowing, and there is talk of more snowstorms in the very near future.
This is not the kind of weather that gets you ready for spring.
It’s the kind of weather that prolongs the winter cabin fever, and leaves you longing for sunshine.
That’s why I am so excited about these recipes from this week’s #SundaySupper. There may still be a blanket of snow outside, but we get to think about strawberries, fresh spinach, lemons, limes, cucumber, and so many other bright spring ingredients this weekend.
And, who says we can’t cook away the last of the winter doldrums?
In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, we’ve brought these Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls to the spring-time party. All the fixings of your classic corned beef and cabbage dinner are rolled up into these neat little packages and then steamed/simmered to soft, tender goodness.
Take a look inside. Cabbage, potatoes, and of course, corned beef.
Not quite traditional, but a fun way to change up the presentation of these classic flavors.
- 12 large green cabbage leaves, carefully removed from the head
- 1 c chopped cabbage
- 2 c corned beef, cooked and cut into small chunks
- 2 c leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 c beef broth (or reserved broth from cooking your corned beef)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place 1 inch of water in a large pot. Add 12 whole cabbage leaves. Cover and steam until slightly wilted, 2-3 minutes. Remove leaves from pot to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together chopped cabbage, cooked corned beef, mashed potatoes, mustard, and pepper. Add beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Lay a cabbage leaf on a cutting board with the stem facing towards you. Cut out the tough bottom section of the vein in the leaf. Place 2-3 Tbsp of the corned beef filling mixture at the center of the leaf (around the tip of the cut you just made).
- Roll the bottom (cut side) of the leaf up over the filling. Fold the two sides in. Continue rolling away from you to wrap the filling tightly in the remaining leaf.
- Place roll in a greased 8x8 baking dish.
- Continue with remaining filling and leaves, creating two rows of 6 rolls in your baking dish.
- Whisk 1 Tbsp flour into 1 cup of beef broth or reserved corned beef cooking liquid, until no clumps remain.
- Pour broth over rolls in baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Let’s warm up around the table with our friends from our #SundaySupper team and share delicious spring time recipes!
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Savory Crepes with Prawns, Broccoli and Hollandaise Sauce by Masala Herb
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Whimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Key Lime Cream Cheese Empanadas by La Cocina de Leslie
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Gluten Free Carrot Cookies by Simply Gourmet
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream by Buffy and George
- Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Irish Spring Tea Party by My Cute Bride
- Fizzy Citrus Cocktails by The Messy Baker
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!