Sometimes, you just feel like getting back to your childhood roots. But that doesn’t mean you can’t kick thinks up a bit, while being nostalgic.
Growing up, rice krispie treats were the dessert that heralded summer. They were the perfect finger food for a picnic or barbecue. And, my grandpa made the best rice krispie treats ever. (He still does for that matter.) I don’t know what he does. But they are always perfectly gooey with just the right crisp balance to keep you coming back for more.
Now, I know we’re in the throes of winter and summer seems nowhere in sight, but we decided to give in to the longing for picnics and barbeques and whip up a spin on this childhood treat.
Oreos are always a win, and in this recipe they add just the right amount of chocolate, without overwhelming the classic flavor.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 c crisp rice cereal
- 2 ½ c oreos, coarsely crushed
- In a large soup pot melt butter. Add marshmallows and vanilla. Heat over low, stirring often, until marshmallows are melted.
- Add cereal and oreos and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13 baking pan and press into an even layer.
- If you can resist, allow to cool before cutting. (I know, this is the hard part.)