This week’s #SundaySupper is all about skinny dishes. Not diet food, but normal food, made healthier. It’s a chance to be a bit creative with traditional dishes and sneak in some added nutrition or share some of our favorite yummy and healthy meals.
We decided to take ourselves out on a limb and cook up these chipotle black bean burgers with some hearty and healthier baked garlic home fries. Baking fries is so simple, and you get great flavor without the deep-fried guilt.
This was our first time making black bean burgers, and we were highly impressed by the way they turned out. The smokey and slightly spicy chipotle seasoning packed the burgers full of flavor. While these are different from your traditional beef burger in texture and taste, we used a little beef bouillon in the seasoning, which did give them a hint of meaty flavor.
- 2 c cooked black beans (If you are using canned beans, drain them.)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ c bread crumbs
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp beef bouillon
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 burger buns
- Place beans and 1 tsp olive oil in a food processor. Blend until mostly smooth. If mixture is too dry to achieve a smooth consistency, add a Tbsp of water.
- In a medium bowl, mix bean puree, bread crumbs and spices. Add egg and mix to combine.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Shape bean mixture into patties, roughly 4" in diameter. Place patties on hot skillet.
- Cook 4 minutes on the first side, flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the second side, until patty is firm.
- Serve topped with cheese and condiments of your choice.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash potatoes and cut each potato into 8 wedges.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes with olive oil and seasonings.
- Place potatoe wedges on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until golden brown, turning potatoes in the pan every 10 minutes for even browning.
And, for more skinny dishes, check out what the #SundaySupper crew brought to the table this week!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!