Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is the perfect, easy weeknight dinner recipe.
What defines a traditional Tortilla Soup?
Mexico City is the home of Tortilla Soup, and while the exact origins are unknown, it made its way into California and Texas by the middle of the 1900s. By the 70s and 80s it had become a classic of Tex-Mex (and Mexican) cuisine in the States.
Traditional Mexican Tortilla soup is more of a simple, comfort food soup, made from good chicken stock that has been blended with roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilies, and fried tortilla strips. Often you will find it garnished with bits of toasted chilies and sauteed onion.
But, in the States, you will find it including various meats, beans, and vegetables. Apparently, we tend to throw anything we like into a hearty bowl of soup. And, there’s nothing wrong with that!
Our slow cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe
We like things to be easy. And, that is exactly what our adaptation on the classic Tortilla Soup is: hearty and easy.
This soup puts the crock pot to good use by starting off with easy ingredients like whole chicken breast and dry beans. After 6 hours of cooking, you have a house that smells amazing and dinner on the table in just as long as it takes you to shred the tender chicken breast into spoon-sized chunks.
Add some sour cream, salsa, and, of course, crispy bits of tortilla, and you have yourself an easy meal that is full of the flavors of Mexican comfort food.
- 1 lb chicken breasts (about 2 large)
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 c)
- 1 c frozen corn
- 1 c black beans, dry
- 1 c pinto beans, dry
- 1 small green pepper, diced (about 1 c)
- 2 small jalapenos, diced
- 4 c chicken stock, low sodium
- 4 c water
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning (Make your own using THIS RECIPE.)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Lime wedges
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Mix all ingredients in a 6qt slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, remove chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the crock pot. Mix well.
- Serve the soup with extra lime, sour cream, or tortilla chips, as desired.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains Amazon affiliate links. These links are provided to help you find some of the more specialty products we mention in the recipe. If you make any purchase clicking through our links, we receive a small commission from Amazon, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Curious Cuisiniere!