Add some class to your summer cook-out with a flavorful Cheddar Merlot Burger.
You know the beautiful smooth flavor that comes when you pair a sharp cheddar cheese with a deep and fruity red wine?
Well, we’ve taken that moment of pairing pleasure and added some charcoal smoke, to create the perfect burger for wine and cheese lovers.
It’s common to add red wine to a pasta sauce to deepen the flavor, and the same concept applies with these burgers. The wine mixed into the patty infuses it with flavor, and brushing the burgers on the grill with additional wine, keeps them nice and moist.
And the cheese?
Well, let’s just say these aren’t your typical cheese stuffed burgers.
We love biting into a stuffed burger and reaching the surprise of a hidden pocket of cheesy goodness. But, this time we wanted the pairing of wine and cheese to permeate the entire burger.
Lots of cheese. Lots of wine.
This weekend, Sunday Supper is excited to be partnering with Gallo Family Vineyards to bring you wine pairing recipes perfect for summer grilling.
There are so many exciting ways to incorporate wine into those outdoor meals.
Take for example, Gallo Family Vinyard’s Merlot, which is a deeply flavorful red wine, with very little harshness. This wine goes perfectly with grilled red meat. If reds aren’t your thing, their Sweet White Blend takes the other end of the spectrum, with its light and refreshing fruity burst of flavor. This wine would go great with grilled chicken, fish, or even fruity grilled desserts.
To help with the inspiration, Gallo Family is offering Sunday Supper readers a coupon for $1 off their next bottle. (Don’t forget to check out their store locator before you head out!) You can also connect with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for more ideas and updates.
- 1 lb 80% lean ground beef
- ¾ c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ c sweet onion, minced
- ¼ c + 2 Tbsp Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat. (You can test this by placing your hand 4 inches from the cooking grate. You should be able to hold it there for around 4 seconds.)
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, shredded cheese, minced onion, ¼ c Gallo Family Vineyards Merlot, salt and pepper. Shape into 4 patties, making a small indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb. (This will help keep the burgers from plumping too much in the middle while they cook.)
- Place the burgers on a hot grill grate. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the first side is nicely browned and the edges of the burgers are starting to look dry, flip the patties. Brush the additional 2 Tbsp of Merlot over the burgers (being careful not to splatter any onto the hot coals). Cover the grill and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve warm, while the cheese is still oozing!
Take a look at this fantastic list of pairing ideas for Gallo Family’s Merlot and Sweet White Blend, and have fun bringing wine to your next summer cookout!
- Grilled Brie with Tropical Fruit Compote by girlichef
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Salads and Sides:
- Grilled Caesar Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Mushrooms with Merlot Reduction by The Messy Baker
- Asian Pork Lettuce Cups by Magnolia Days
- BBQ Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Cheddar Merlot Burgers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Chicken with Blueberry-Merlot Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Hawaiian Sea Salt Tuna Nuggets by Family Foodie
- Grilled Honey Lime Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with a Strawberry Jam Glaze by Savvy Eats
- Grilled Ribeye with Mushroom Merlot Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers with a Sweet White Blend Marinade by Country Girl in the Village
- Merlot Marinated Flank Steak with Spicy Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Merlot Burger by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Shish Kabobs in Red Wine Rosemary Marinade by The Dinner-Mom
- Tandoori-style Lamb Chops by kimchi MOM
- Grilled Apple Crisp by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone by Desserts Required
- Vanilla Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches by Hip Foodie Mom
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.